Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Taming the tongue Tuesday!



Oh be careful little mouth what you say...
Oh be careful little mouth what you say...
'cause
the
Father up above

is
looking down
in love...
Oh be careful little mouth
what you say!

Funny.
Lately...
me and my big mouth...
has
NOT THAT MUCH
to say.

NOTHING!

I was with a group of moms on Saturday...
all of us toiling and working with our kids, fundraising.
I noticed I was quiet...
and my friend noticed I was quiet too!

WHY?

I didn't have much to really say.



He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.
Proverbs 18:21



Sunday evening
when we prepare our AWANA Sparks room...
we ladies are usually chatting, chatting...
and I noticed I was quiet...
and one of the leaders noticed I was quiet...again!



I really didn't have anything to say! I was agreeing and listening.
I wasn't silent...I asked questions...but I didn't dominate the conversation...
(you know we do that...OK I do that...when I have something to say....)



Do you see a man who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than him.
Proverbs 29:20


I'm starting to realize...
taming the tongue
means

there is a time to talk...
and a time to
just
be
quiet and listen.


A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much.
Proverbs 18:21


Have you been that man?
One who talks too much?

I have...
I was...
I AM still!

(Notice none of those examples were of me at home...OK I'm working on that!)

We've all known folks when they're coming...we run the other way 'cause they're going to attack us...
run us over...
hold us hostage with their
words...

God doesn't want us to be those kind of women, men...
He wants us to be a one who can speak when it's time...
'cause you know we women love to talk...and should...
and hold our tongue when it's time.

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.
Proverbs 18:21

Can we go and do likewise?

5 comments:

really.truly said...

I'm currently the victim of gossip in our town(at our church-because we are moving/G's new job).

I love your taming the tongue...I need to tame mine. I just want to scream angry things right now(because of the above). But I'm going to try and tame it. :)

Lorrie said...

Sorry to hear that. When someone gets a new job, loses a job, move out or moves in or their kid looks crosseyed...why do we start gossiping. Why can't be just have normal conversations about stuff... like they do in 2nd grade...

"I'm moving"... she might say.
"I'm sorry and mad you're going. I want things to stay the same." her friend comes back.
"It can't, my mom said so." she comes back!

And then they go play on the swings...
ahhhh for the easy life...NOT!

Beth in NC said...

I can always work on listening more and speaking less!

More Than Words said...

Yup, I definitely can do more of the listening!!!!!

Katie said...

My own MIL has been away from the church for many years because of gossip and a broken confidence. Its been very difficult trying to share Jesus with her as a result.