Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Life's NOT FAIR!



My boys were fighting over a piece of candy yesterday.
Both of them holding a dirty piece of hardened sugar
and just fighting like there was no tomorrow.
"It's mine."
"No it's mine!"
"Give it to me"....
"No give it to ME!" On and on they went until I got fed
up and just passed it to the one who was closest to me.

"That's not fair Mom! He got the candy and I didn't."
I had to inform Bry...
"Life's not fair."

We know this to be true but we don't really believe it.
Some folks have money, some folks don't have enough.
Some of us are in love with our husbands, some of us won't even be in the same room as our husbands. Some don't have a boyfriend...let alone a husband.
Some hate their jobs...and others wish they had one to hate.
Really bad things happen to good people and vice versa.

I think we have to realize that life isn't suppose to be fair...it's just suppose to be.
As I have been reflecting on being content I realize that it's o.k. if life isn't "fair".
God hasn't designed my life to be any more worse or better than anyone else's if I look at it through God colored lenses. The things I might find hard to live with, the things I want to scream well..."It's not fair." aren't designed to make me a crybaby. They're designed to make me stronger.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:2-3.

4 comments:

Silvia said...

amen to that sister!!!!!!...
great post.have a great weekend and a very happy valentines!!!

love, Silvia.

Shonni said...

So well written and so true!

Erin said...

Wow! I was listening to the radio this morning and the host was talking about the concept that NOTHING is fair. It was profound. He used the example that test after test after test says that 1st born children tend to accomplish more and score higher on IQ tests than any children that might follow. He pointed out that if you believe in the idea of "fair" then you have to blame someone (ie., God) if you were not born first, because you might not be as smart or accomplished. Anyway, the idea was to understand that some inequalities of circumstance were not DONE to you and cannot be mitigated and that truly we need to create a world in which we strive for equal opportunity. We must do this even as we recognize that there will never, ever be equal outcomes and that looking for "fair" is an impossible quest. Railing against God because you were born the baby of the family seems silly when you put it into that context and is a waste of energy that could be better used to finding those opportunities available to you to live the life you were born to live. I found it a great way to simplify the idea behind what I always tell my children: There is no such thing as "fair"...there is reasonable, there is just, but there is no such thing as "fair"...

really.truly said...

I've been so busy with packing.....I've missed your wise words and your blog. You always hit my heart and make me think :)