Thursday, June 18, 2009

Careful with credit cards and identity folks...

Just a short post today about using credit cards and debit cards online.

My friend was a victim of identity theft yesterday.

They lifted her credit card from property tax records.

Went on a $1,000 shopping spree even WITHOUT the security code on the back.

If you pay for items online...use credit cards that you don't normally use. Use cards with low balances and monitor activity often.
Try not to use debit cards for online purchasing...it's harder to get that money back in case of theft.

Just a reminder that evil does exist folks...let's not be blind.

6 comments:

really.truly said...

Oh my, thank you for sharing that. I hope your friend gets everything worked out.

We had our credit card info stolen from the mail! They made fake cards and went on a shopping spree. The credit card companies are usually good about helping (usually).

Lorrie said...

Yeah...my friend said she's not liable...but I'm worried because I DO everyone online...I'm switching to paying for stuff with credit that way I can be covered.

Warren Baldwin said...

Liked here frm Katies bog. This is good advice. We had a card number stolen last year. Major headache. It doesn't hurt to be reminded to be careful, careful, careful. A card with low balance is a good idea. Thanks. wb

Love Abounds At Home said...

That's scary! More and more identity theft is happening. Hope everything works out for her. So sad!

Darcie said...

Thanks for the reminder and warning!

~Lisi P. said...

Thanks for the reminder. Also, don't carry your Social Security Card around in your wallet. I try to tell as many people this as I can (I work part-time as a cashier). My friend had her SS card in her purse & the purse was stolen. Needless to say, this provided the thief access to her ID, Address, SS Card & all other information. What a field day they had! Applied for all kind of things in her name. She spent more time trying to prove it wasn't her rather than being the victim.