Friday, May 08, 2009

You have to read the other post from yesterday first...

Then come back to this one.
I forgot...(my mom would have been so mortified if I didn't mention this...)

She was valedictorian of her high school class of 1958 and was one of the first black women who attended Chico State University in the Fall of 1958 or 1959. (Note I said attended...not graduated...some folks scared her off in the dorms and she went running back home to Vallejo.) She eventually became a nurse and got her nursing degree...credential...whatever it was in San Diego.

Even now I think...what would my mom think of what I'm doing...so I had to correct myself...

2 comments:

More Than Words said...

That is just amazing!!!

What a legacy she is passing down to her family!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Stone Gatherer said...

To bad some people had to scare her away! She sounds like a determined woman!