Monday, April 27, 2009

Winning is...

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirit who neither enjoy no suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. 

It doesn't matter what a critic says...it can never take the place of action. - Teddy Roosevelt.

My "Let Jesus Erase your sins" Car!  


Well my ENTIRE family competed in the Awana Pinewood Car Derby this weekend.  Saturday was spent making sure our oldest were sanding and painting their cars...and not each other. We all had a blast hanging around the house getting ready. Sunday we spent all day at church, and had a blast.

Since our boys are quite independent...they didn't want any design "helps" from us so we let them do whatever with their cars. I always give them the same speech every year.  

"O.k. let's get out there Miltons and cream them!"

"Yeah!" They all shout.  
Someone inevitably says "I'm gonna win 1st place"..."Maybe even take it all."
And we bounce out the house with victory in our sights. 

My favorite car of the day...My hubby's "God of Wonders...Bread of Life" Car!


Bry's is the police car on the right. 
It's next to my favorite kid car of the day...Logan's Airplane...(His dad flies them...go figure!)

Well my boys never win first place in speed. They usually end up 3rd or 4th in design or speed. The awesome thing is they're o.k. with being 3rd or 4th...maybe 2nd in a better year. They're not so competitive that the day is ruined if they don't win. They love being there trying and having fun.

And that's why the quote from Teddy Roosevelt is at the top...You can't win everything in life...but you have to try like you're going to win.  Winning feels great...and it's great to win. Sometimes we don't even try if we know we aren't going to on top. If we can't be number 1 we don't even show up. We've got to get over that. God wants your best where you are right now...with passion and zeal, and the right attitude...not standing their scared and complaining in the "gray twilight."

Well the boys did all come home with trophies...and they were all just so giddy!  We all had great fun and fellowship with our church family and the weather was so nice.  It was a great day.

Thanks for letting me use my favorite non-biblical writer today and I'll be back on my biblical soapbox tomorrow...'cause it's TAME your TONGUE TUESDAY!
Blessings.

3 comments:

Love Abounds At Home said...

I love the cars. Especially the eraser one. So much creativity.

Bethany said...

You guys ROCKED! Maybe next year I'll make a car . . .

MOMSWEB said...

WOW! Looks like fun!