Thursday, March 05, 2009

prideful calls

Let me preface this with saying all post written during "that time of the month" might ..no correction...will come across pretty somber.  

Today I wanted to post a great post I read from Lysa Terkeurst from Proverbs ministries but I was interrupted by a phone call.

It was lady who has a child who excels and tries in school work and at home.  Instead of feeling proud for my friend...I start beating up on myself.  Why don't I push my son harder?  Why don't I force him to excel? Why don't I make him be social?

Well I know the answer to all those questions?  I push him as far as I can but if I pushed any further...I might break him.  Am I trying to get him to excel so he can be proud...or so I can be PROUD?  He has developmental issues that God has given him for a reason...but in spite of that I want him doing what other kids are doing.  

God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.  1 Peter 5:5

At first I heard the pounding lies in my head of my child isn't measuring up...therefore YOU aren't measuring up as a mom.  Where is that in the bible?  My job is to do what God biblically calls me to do.  I don't think that includes being prideful or critical over what my child can and can't do.  

If you find yourself hearing critical statements...that's not of God and you need to call the enemy on that.  Pray that God's grace falls fresh on you but that you also have the ability to extend grace to others...including your children.   Be willing to be happy when someone is happy and not compare your situation to others.  That's what I'm praying for today.

Needless to say I was glad when my cell phone started breaking up and I had to go.  

Well this was a very person post and even as I'm writing I'm thinking some critical old hack will read this and use this bit of information against me in some subtle critical way the next time they see me. Wow... There I go again...being critical.  Before I can pray that God can help extend me grace to my children...maybe I need to ask God to help me see myself as He sees me...fearfully and wonderfully made.

While I'm remembering that I'm fearfully and wonderfully made...maybe I should extend that to all God's children...including my own. 

Blessings



No comments: