Thursday, March 12, 2009

Be content, chica. (chica = girl)

Last night I attended an Asperger's support group meeting.  I had my 5 year old in tow so I knew I was leaving early (meeting ended at 9 o'clock...his bedtime isn't that late) and I knew I had to keep him occupied.  What I didn't know was how his reaction was going to be.  He ranges from the "perfect" little angel (o.k. at train stations) to people asking me..."Is he autistic too?"  

Well I had everything and the kitchen sink.   I had trains...I had his brother's backpack...I had raisins...I had it all.  There wasn't anything that was going to set him off...no other kids and I was prepared to leave as soon as things got bad.

Boy was I shocked when I got in there.  The ladies welcomed him...but there was a cold silence as they looked at him.  I apologized that I had to bring him...but they weren't upset that I brought him.  It dawned on me.  They were coveting his quiet play in the corner.  Now mind you.  I wouldn't have brought a 5 year old to a meeting for kids with delays but I was desperate..(it was business meeting night and I knew not to go there) so there we were.  Quietly he played.  He assembled tracks and worked by himself.  Every so often he'd make train sounds, and then the unthinkable...he sheepishly came along side me and asked..."Mom...I want to draw."  His voice was firm but still it could be heard.

I looked across the table and there sat a large latina woman.  She wore dark eye shadow on and tattoos dotted her large frame.  In between her dark long hair was her pale face and out of her right heavily made up eye came a big tear.  Her voice cracked when she said, "I'd give my right arm for my child to talk."

Later in the evening the woman the woman I sat next to told of stories of a mother on meth with an autistic child who desperately needed help.  He was 16 and never received any therapy.  He was desperate to learn but had never been taught.  She commented several times that my son was blessed because he had toys, a mother, a bed to sleep in...the list went on.

Folks.  I went to the meeting to let folks know how HARD my life is.  I had a long list of things I was planning on venting about.   I have a child who doesn't fit in the mold.  I have another who's natural arrogance argues that the mold doesn't exist, and I have another who just hit a kid with the mold then ate it.

Let's be grateful.  In Hebrews 13 the chapter starts off with "Let brotherly love continue." vs. 3 says "Remember the prisoners as if chained with them - those who are mistreated - since you yourselves are in the body also."

As hard as your life may seem, with God you are still free.  There is someone else that is imprisoned with being fatherless, motherless, or childless.  Some are imprisoned by children who can't talk or can't walk.  Some are imprisoned by their own minds because they want what they don't have.  

The end of verse 5 says it all.  I thought about it last night.  "Be content with such things as you have.  For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you n or forsake you."

When our children act up or even if they obey and play quietly (as Bry did last night.) be content with such things as you have.  If your husband doesn't say or do the right things...be content with such things as you have.  If you want a bigger or smaller house...be content with such things as you have.  

Don't let gratitude be so foreign during the day that it takes a large chica quietly crying in the corner to remind you to be content with such things as WE have.  

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You are so right. God has a way of showing us our blessings sometimes and reminding us that they are from HIM. It seems that we should never need to be reminded. Yet we do. Thanks for sharing.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Great post...it really is the little things in life that matter the most! Thanks for the reminder! :-) Susan