Friday, February 20, 2009

petite prayers

Today is Friday and it doesn't seem like my normal Friday.  There wasn't any school today and I have spent it all day with an active 5 year old.  As he bounces from one activity to the next everything is new and exciting.  I was preparing for his Awana lesson (since I'm the substitute teacher this week) and was told in the lesson that prayer is a difficult concept for 3 to 5 year olds to grasp.  Hello!?  It's a difficult concept for us older folks too.  We have a tendency to treat the Lord like a cosmic Santa...asking for this...and begging this or that to be taken away from us.  We shoot up quick prayers in the hopes they are like scud missiles...knocking out problems we have created due to disobedience or failing to see the big picture.  Prayer isn't a one way event...it's a process to bring us closer to the Lord and it's designed for us to give our thanks.  It's the only form of conversation that the world can't duplicate.  They can meditate and concentrate all they want...but they can't pray.

Go look up the Lords prayer...and by the way...shoot up a scud missile prayer for me...I have to teach this to 3 and 5 year olds Sunday night.

2 comments:

~ Mama said...

I'm sure you'll do great with the little ones! Mine are that age and they love to learn anything and everything. Heck, I learn from you just reading your blog:)

Bethany said...

I'm glad you'll be katie's teacher this week. You are great with the kids. I'm still hoping for art lessons at some point for the girls!