Sunday, November 23, 2008

What a great day!, Allison and boys come up from Oceanside.

Yesterday, I had an unexpected overnight guests and not all of them were pre-teen boys.  The mother was in tow.   At first, I thought this was some kind of punishment but then I realized what a blessing this was.  First...it forced me to dust my living room with more detail and precision that I have in the last few weeks.  Second...it allowed me to meet with another mom who has boys similar to mine.   You see...her son and my son met in the kindergarten speech therapy class.  They have been friends off and on for 8 years.  They both don't have many other..no correction...any other friends, so for the last 9 years when you ask them..."Who's your best friend..."  They will say the other boy.  We've both been through ups and downs with our oldest sons and when we're together...we don't have to "one-up" each other with what our kids are accomplishing...we just sit and talk about what's happening in life.

It is important who you hang out with.  Psalms tells us "blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.  But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."    Our friends do tell us who we are.  My friend and her boys tell folks that I like being around people who aren't pretentious and who aren't scornful and mockers.  My friend and her boys aren't socially gracious, they don't look like fashion plates...but they are extremely sweet and real.  When you can just relax around a group of people and not worry about being "in the seat of the scornful."  that is a great day indeed!

No comments: