Monday, June 29, 2009

What do you think?

As you read this on Monday...PRAY FOR US...
we are trying to map out a little schedule for our summer and I'm wondering what you all think?

We don't have any money for a big vacation...but we need to do something...

So I'm asking folks...where should the 
"Spot on the Shore" Family go this summer..

Here are the options...

1. Over to the next state to visit my husband's sister who had a heart attack in May...and see the Grand canyon on the way back. 

2. Northern California for a "nerds and natural vacation"...(we did this one year...the science museum ... where the apple computer was invented and then east to see the redwoods, to a beach where the water seems to flow up the beach, a 200 year eucalyptus grove.  Don't laugh.... my little brown nerds (and closet nerd here) had a great time!)

3. An amusement park or water park around here... (we have no free passes this summer except for one my son got for reading so we'd have to buy everyone passes...) I don't really like amusement parks... (that's a hint...don't vote for that one...)

4. Going missing each several Tuesdays and coming back Wednesday and doing something 50-100 miles close to home. (going to the beaches in another county, going into the city and goofing around, stuff like that.)

Here's one my oldest just added...
5. Going to Mexico (but I think that now involves passports...) ok that's not feasible... 'cause that would get expensive staying in San Diego... The zoo, Legoland, Sea World...etc.

6. and he added Las Vegas (but I tell you RIGHT NOW...it's hard to take kids to Vegas... 'cause I really don't think Vegas is that kid friendly ... the smoke, the gambling...the lewd billboards where I'm screaming... "Boys turn your head..." "Boys don't look left..." "Boys let's leave the pool." - can you tell we tried that once.  Don't vote Vegas... we don't gamble and there and if New Edition ain't playing...I'm not interested!

So what do you think? 
My husband isn't teaching school this summer but he has ministry with the youth on Monday nights at church, Wednesday nights at church and Friday nights at church. If we went somewhere big...he can hand off Monday or Wednesdays but not Friday (since that involves worship and bible study) .... so wherever we go it has to be 3 days max... and of course the weekends are out...we don't really want to miss a Sunday since he's the youth minister too.

Sorry this "What do you think?" isn't very spiritual...but I'm still digesting a bible study I went to yesterday... and more coming about that!

12 comments:

Joley said...

Santa Monica Pier Pacific Park
Lake Casitas has a water park and I heard there is one in Ventura too (but I don't know where).
I will email you info about discount tickets too.
How about camping out in your backyard?

Lorrie said...

Thanks for the day trip ideas...we camp in our backyard a lot in August when it finally gets hot!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

You have put together a great collection of places Lorrie! I like the idea of the Tuesday/wednesday frequent get-aways...I bet you'll find some cool places you never even knew existed!

Darcie said...

I would probably vote for the husband's sister, and then the Grand Canyon. Wonderful to see family...and the Grand Canyon sounds so amazing.

More Than Words said...

Yah..definitely a negative on Las Vegas..lol!

My first choice would be the sister and then the Grand Canyon! But then when I read the next choice, of course I'm all for that too! I love in NorCal! LOL!

Martha said...

Oh no Las Vegas for this mama, I went to Reno recently and I felt like I was going to turn into a pillar of salt. I had to jerk my head sideways every time I saw something promiscuous... and I hear Las Vegas is even worse :o) but hey I hear it has its good spots O_O

I am a little biased when I say GO TO NORCAL! Only because I live in Northern California :D

really.truly said...

I think I like #4...doing something different each week. That sounds fun. Even just going to random diners can be so much fun...little 5 and 10 stores in small towns. Can't wait to find out what you do!

LisaShaw said...

Hey Lorrie - I like 1 and 4.

Hope all is well with your precious family. Please email me with your email address so that I can "invite" you to my fitness blog that is now private. blessings!

momstheword said...

Wow, I don't know! They all sound good. I like the idea of several small "mini" ones one day a week, but seeing family is awesome too.

If your hubby is the youth minister I would suggest taking at least one Sunday off, so that he gets a vacation.

It is important for those who minister to take a vacation too.
Especially if he works fulltime during the day and then is ministring on Monday, Wed and Friday nights as well as Sunday too.

Just my personal opinion. I know he loves it, as my husband does, but sometimes they just need to relax and recharge.

Bethany said...

I think visiting sister and grand canyon on the way back. A "real" trip, if short. You could still do a Tuesday trip or two after.

Lorrie said...

Momsthewords you're right...thanks for the imput....Actually Thanks everybody for the imput...I'll keep you posted.

A Stone Gatherer said...

Definately the first one. Staying with relatives is cheaper and seeing your husband sister would be so nice, along with the Grand Canyon as a bonus!