Thursday, June 11, 2009

David Bowie says..."Let's Dance"

Time for my favorite meme, Alicia is hosting Flashback Photo Fridays and here's mine...


Well I figured with all the end-of-the year stuff going on I'd dig into my scrapbook...



circa 1986.



It's the middle of my senior year and a tall good looking guy from across town...that Bill guy... at various functions in and around our two rival schools. We were both in our respective ASBs.  I knew he was into politics and I...fashion! So I never talked to him.


Finally in January I receive my AKA graduating senior scholarship award and who trumps me and gets a bigger scholarship,

...that Bill guy!


I attend a Delta Sigma Theta scholarship breakfast in March and who am I standing next two from my rival school,

...that Bill guy!


My parent's won't let me hang with my "boyfriend" (a 20 year old man who I had no business trying to talk too) and my sister says I should meet her friend's brother...
who do think called me,

that Bill guy!

That Bill guy...aka..my hubby Bill and I at my prom...
man that background...80s all the way!


Our relationship was quite rocky at the start...we are TOTAL opposites...and by the time his prom rolled around...I refused to go...but I did make it to his grad night.

Bear with me...this post will eventually end.
I left my hometown for the university and my parents have me join the Baptist Student Union. Guess who's the incoming freshman president going around stalking incoming UCSB baptist students...

that Bill guy!...he's even going to the same university...and living in the dorm right next to mine...a mere 400 feet away.

Anyway...it's Thursday night and I better get off the computer...guess who wants to use it...

yes...that Bill guy!

20 comments:

Kristine said...

Very cute post! :)
I'm a child of the 80s too.

More Than Words said...

Whatan awesome story!!!!! I love reading how spouses hooked up! Love the picture, Lorrie!! You guys look good!!!

Thanks for joining in again!!!!

Mamí♥Picture said...

Awesome PICTUREA & STORY!!! You both look GREAT!! Aww, I love story!
Have a blessed Friday!!!

Beth in NC said...

What a great story and picture. Girl, your dress almost blends in with the background.

Love it!
b

really.truly said...

That story is great!! That Bill guy is pretty cute;)and you are lovely my dear. Love the picture.

Lisa said...

Now that was HILARIOUS I expected it to end with the Bill Guy and I am glad I was not disappointed....lol

Love Abounds At Home said...

You were meant to be with "that guy Bill." haha! Love it :)
I miss the 80s!

Silvia said...

hows my californian friend doing?how many days left for school? man, can't wait for mine!!..
yes Sandra is right, it was mean to be,loved this post, you r so funny!you looked great and Bill very handsome!.
wish you a great weekend my friend..xx


silvia.

Days of Whine & Noses said...

love the 80's prom dress (mine wasn't so nice)

thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Darcie said...

What a sweet story and what a sweet picture!!

~ Mama said...

How fun and what a great blogging idea to get thoughts going!

Sweet Serendipity said...

Great story. Love the photo! The 80s rocked :D

Helene said...

Wow, when something's meant to be, it's meant to be, right? That was definitely fate's way of dropping a brick on your head and saying, "Hello....true love's waiting....". The pictures are beautiful....one of the pics I debated on putting up was from my senior prom!!!

That is such an amazing story of how you met your hubby....your kids will probably always get a kick out of hearing it!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your blog is beautiful...makes me wanna go on vacation!

Erin said...

I think I wore that exact dress in my dad's second wedding! How funny. You looked so cute.

"That Bill guy" was obviously your destiny, no matter how far you ran from it!

Anonymous said...

Totally 80"s, you both look so cute...yes you were meant to be together.

Love the satin & puffy sleeves...and gloves to match...you were styling girl
Nice Motown hair style too

JSmooth

Lorrie said...

O.k. the gloves to match weren't made with the dress. That was a "yellow" shoe moment...I cut off some of my dress and had my mom's seamstress craft them..."cause I was obsessed with having gloves with no fingers.

Muthering Heights said...

I love your prom photo!!!

Carin said...

What a great post! 80's all the way! =) I enjoyed your story, what fun memories.

nilliebillie said...

I'm desperately looking for a picture of you and Stan together. He says there is one that exist from a dance. A group of kids and he says your there. This picture doesn't show the party animal you were. JK...a little. Bill was fine. Did he go to CI or RM? Go yellowjackets. You seniors. Remember I was a class behind.

Lorrie said...

OK I remember him telling me about that on fb. I have pics from all my dances except freshman year. So it has to be that year. Bill went to RM you JUNIOR!