Friday, December 12, 2008

This is what happens when you sleep late...




This morning I got up late and to my surprise...I found two kids with CEREAL STRAWS near the Christmas tree. I asked my oldest..."Where did you get those straws? You aren't suppose to have those." He laughed and said..."DAD!"  Apparently my husband went to the grocery store with the worst possible companion...a growing 13 year old boy. Now I can no longer say my kids have never had cereal straws. I still think they're useless.  We just sucked up milk from cereal like dogs when we were kids.  Is that a bad 80's concept? Don't they know it's just another Nick commercial marketing ploy...well apparently it worked...on DAD!

If the boys had never seen those straws on tv...would they have asked for them at the grocery store? What we take in and what we keep our minds on ends up coming out in our lives.  We need to be self-controlled and mindful of what we see and the effect it has on us.  1 Peter 1:13 says that we are to "prepare your minds for action be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.  As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance."  I'm sure we are to be self-controlled in all things...even at the grocery store.

Let's be mindful of what we see today.  By the way...day 4 without t.v.  The t.v. challenge was an easy one...we'll see if next week's challenge is harder to swallow...no mindless window shopping... I don't want to end up with any cereal straws.

No comments: