Monday, December 08, 2008

Good and evil.

"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon behold, Satan hath desired to have you. that he may sift you as wheat". Lk 22:31.

This weekend was a mixture of contrast. When it all boils down it was a weekend of good and evil. Activity for activity sake is not only daunting, but draining and stressful for kids and adults alike. Some activity is good and some...well it just lends itself to evil.

There was good:...B.s band concert...reading my pastor's devotional and realizing what I need to be focusing on...seeing a children and adult choir performance...attending a progressive party with B. (yes...B and I were in the same room and not just for gettin' busy.)...stepping into a young couples house who had been waiting for a bigger place and seeing the pride that brings and having a long talk Sunday night with a friend who has the same problems with her children. (It really feels good to not feel alone.)

Some things were just plain evil. My friend has the same problems with her son as I do with my middle one. No matter how many spankings...groundings...taking stuff away...they just won't yield. Her son messed up, as two of mine did this weekend. We decided we weren't going to give up...but we were going to be selective about where they go, who they see, and what they do.

"I'm worried about the holidays...family coming over and worried what what they might do." frustration was coming out of her voice.

"I don't invite anyone over to my house who I don't think can tolerate MY kids. If I know they can't handle my kids and they have to come over...I keep them in the living room and the boys in the family room." As I spewed that out of my mouth...I realized it wasn't a good solution.

I told her that she shouldn't have anyone over who can't understand all kids don't come in "picture perfect packages". (Easy to say...hard to do.) I told her how I had to take one of mine to an "adult" only dinner. I tried to get him to come in the first house. Didn't work. But I knew they wouldn't judge him. I finally got him to go in the second house. These folks understand about children melting down and I hope K takes my advice. (Easy to say...hard to do.) All I can say is sometimes family members are cruel...Let's remember there IS evil in this world and it comes in many forms.

That gets me to the verse I wrote from Luke. It dawned on me that when our kids do bad...there are things that are working behind the scene that would love to turn your children away from the Lord. Evil is working to "Sift you as wheat." Not only you...but your kids too. Folks we need to pray, we need to stay in word...and we need to realize that "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." (2 Tim 3:12)

Good and evil folks. It's here to stay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. My little one gets very out of control if I take her every place I need to go. Edit, Lorrie. You need to edit.